Sunday 12 December 2010

In my other post I mentioned the word hijab-dresser, which no doubt left a question mark over some of your heads.

What is a hijab-dresser?

Originating from middle-eastern countries, mainly Turkey, hijab-dressing has been around for many many many years. It was, and still is, a way for women to dress up without having to show their hair. 


It's actually quite difficult to describe and picture. Try to imagine a hairdresser who works with dressmaking pins and pieces of cloth, instead of bobby pins and hair. Someone I know described it as a work or art, or a bouqet, made up on a persons head.

I have been dressing my own hijab up for about three years now, and have been doing it as business from March 2010, which was around the time when it was introduced in Preston (where I live!).

Hijab-dressing has become a revolution in Preston, and other cities in the North-West. It has changed the way women dress to weddings, parties, or even just going out.

The introduction to hijab-dressing in Britian has not only created a new way for women to wear their hijab at occasions, but has also given myself an opportunity, at the age of sixteen, to open my own business. And it has been absolutely AMAZING! It has given me an opportunity to meet all different types of people, whilst doing something I love. I've put hijabs on for brides, for people who have been wearin it their whole life, for young girls, older women, and for a few people who's first ever hijab was put on by me. The experience has been completely wonderful, and will hopefully be the same, if not better, for years to come.

It's probably still difficult to picture what a dressed up hijab might look like, so here are a few pictures of hijabs, done by myself and others as well:

(Please forgive my poor efforts of trying to cut out the faces)




















The above two were done by two of the same net hijabs. The hijabs were quite long, which allowed me to create the layers at the front with the edging.




The above two are bridal hijabs. The second one was actually inspired by the Turkish bridal hijabs, which are always quite intricate and full of detail.

The above pictures are of quite detailed hijabs, but some people prefer the simpler look like the following:


Well, I have lots of pictures, and lots of styles...but theres no fun in putting them all on one post. So stick around for more hijab stuffs! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment